Image Courtesy of Splendour in the Grass
After a couple of years of slim-picking for indie-folk fans today’s massive Splendour in the Grass lineup announcement came as a pleasant surprise to Timber and Steel. In amongst massive headline names like The Strokes, The Cure, Flume, The Avalanches and James Blake is a bunch of folk-leaning artists you should be getting excited about.
- Matt Corby – The singer-songwriter released his debut album Telluric this year chich has been getting plenty of air time on national radio.
- Boy & Bear – No strangers to the Splendour stage, Boy & Bear have already toured their latest album Limit of Love with a bunch of sold out shows at the beginning of this year.
- Jake Bugg – I first discovered Bugg at Splendour in 2013 and I was impressed with the singer-songwriter’s ability to command an audience with just himself and a guitar.
- Leon Bridges – American gospel and soul singer returns to Australia with a bunch of buzz behind him.
- James Vincent McMorrow – Splendour will be McMorrow’s only Australian show this time around. It’s been a while since he could be considered a “folk singer” having gone down an electronic route in recent years, but there’s no denying how amazing this man is live.
- Michael Kiwanuka – The UK soul-folk singer has a brand new album, Love & Hate, produced by Danger Mouse and Inflo due in May. We have a feeling it’s going to be huge.
- Marlon Williams – Our love of Marlon Williams is well documented. Splendour will no doubt open the alt-country singer-songwriter up to a whole new fanbase.
- Kim Churchill – A longtime favourite of Timber and Steel, Kim Churchill’s rootsy sound was built for festivals.
- Little May – The indie-folk trio have an epic sound that is just made for the Splendour stage.
Splendour in the Grass 2016 will take place from Friday 22nd July to Sunday 24th July at the North Byron Parklands, Yelgun. Tickets will go on sale on the 21st April.