This Week in Folk
All the News From The Week That Was
- Arbori unleashed their gorgeous new track “In The Places You Fold” featuring backing vocals from The Falls, ILUKA, Chelsea Gibson and Stu Larsen. The track is available as a free download and will be officially launched at Hibernian House in Sydney on the 28th July. Details here.
- Jack Carty is stocking up on frequent flyer points with weekly residencies in both Sydney and Melbourne. Packwood will be supporting Carty at all of the shows and the pair have released a video of them covering Sufjan Stevens’ “Decatur” to celebrate. Details here.
- Grizzly Bear, who will be winging their way to Australia in November for the Harvest Festivals, have finally revealed the artwork and titled for their upcoming album, due for release on the 18th September. Details here.
- One of our favourite Aussie music sites, The AU Review, is turning four and to celebrate they’re holding a very special concert in Sydney that will recreate The Beatles’ Magical Mystery Tour album live on stage with a bunch of local artists. Fanny Lumsden and Winter People are flying the folk flag at the gig which is set to take place on 3rd August. Details here.
- YOLK Collective, the Young Centenary Foundation and Georgie & Friends have announced a very special night of folk music and visual art in Sydney this Saturday. Featuring music from Karla Nader, ILUKA with Taylor Hogan, Arbori and the aforementioned Georgie & Friends the night will also support finding a cure for cancer. Details here.
- Sam Lee is one of the most exciting young trad musicians coming out of the UK at the moment. Combining songs he has collected mostly from the Traveller and Gypsy communities with diverse instrumentation, sampling and modern arrangements, Lee has created something really unique on his new album Ground Of Its Own, which has just been given a release date of 23rd July. Details here.
- For the second week in a row The Falls Festival has revealed a handful of artists for 2012. This time around the folk flag is being well and truly waved by First Aid Kit, returning to Australia for the second time this year. Details here.
- Beth Orton announced her first album in almost 6 years titled Sugaring Season. The album is due for release on the 5th October with the first single “Something more Beautiful” already causing a buzz online. Details here.
- The Falls, who are set to release their new EP Hollywood on the 3rd August, have announced launch shows in Sydney and Melbourne immediately followed by a support slot on Passenger national tour. Big things are happening for our favourite Sydney duo! Details here.
- Melbourne four piece Cordial Factory have just released “What Did You Ask For” the lastet single from their forthcoming EP First Make Thieves. The band will be launching the EP at the Northcote Social Club on the 8th August. Details here.
- ILUKA released her brand new single “Paper Doll” following a successful launch at FBi Social. Its mixture of folk, jazz, blues and doo-wop is bound to have you dancing – and best of all ILUKA’s offering it up for free. Details here.
Track By Track
Releases This Week
Gigs Next Week
Breaking Hart Benton
Saturday 14th July – Spotted Cow, Toowoomba, QLD
Monday 16th July – The Cave, Gold Coast, QLD
Friday 20th July – Upfront Club, Maleny, QLD
Fri 13th July – The SoundLounge, Gold Coast QLD
Sat 14th July – The Tivoli, Brisbane QLD
Sun 15th July – Great Northern, Byron Bay NSW
Jack Carty with Packwood
Sunday 15th July – Betty Bar, Melbourne, VIC
Thursday 19th July – Cafe Lounge, Sydney, NSW
Friday 13th July – Commercial Club, Albury, NSW
Saturday 14th July – Montreal Community Theatre, Tumut, NSW
Wednesday 18th July – 99 on York, Sydney, NSW
Friday 20th July – Belmont 16ft Sailing Club, Belmont, NSW
MoFo (Telegraph Tower, My Sauce Good)
Friday 13th July – The Gaelic Club (Upstairs), Sydney, NSW
Friday 13th July – Jive, Adelaide, SA
Thursday 19th July – The Lair, Sydney, NSW
Friday 20th July – Alhambra Lounge, Brisbane, QLD
Friday 13th July – Meeniyan Town Hall, Meeniyan, VIC
The Good Ship
Saturday 14th July – The Zoo, Brisbane, QLD
The Redlands Bluegrass Convention (The Hamilton County Bluegrass Band, The Davidson Brothers, Mustered Courage, Bluegrass Parkway, Kristy Cox)
13th to 15th July – Redland Bay, QLD
The Rescue Ships
Friday 13th July – The Red Rattler, Sydney, NSW
Wednesday 18th July – The Lass O’Gowrie, Newcastle, NSW
Friday 20th July – 5 Church Street, Bellingen, NSW
YOLK Folk (Karla Nader, ILUKA with Taylor Hogan, Arbori, Georgie & Friends)
Saturday 14th July – 49 Crown St, Woolloomoolloo, NSW
Friday Folk Flashback
“The Drover’s Boy” – Ted Egan
We know there’s a very famous American folk birthday tomorrow but we wanted to recognise an Australian living legend and dear friend, Ted Egan who turned 80 last week. If you have never heard this song you’re in for a treat. Happy Birthday mate!